Three Friends

Three Friends
Three Friends

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Procrastination


(by Slick)

According to my training schedule today is a six mile run.  I cannot remember running six miles in my life.  I vaguely remember a 6 mile hike I did back in ’98…but not a run.  So first thing this morning instead of heading out for 6 miles and getting it over with nice an early, I decided to focus on one of my other New Year’s Resolutions and go through some old paperwork.   

While making my piles of ‘shred, recycle and keep’ I came across my first PT (physical training) card from Basic Training.  Yes, Basic Training was a long time ago, and yes, I still have the paperwork.  I weighed about 13lbs less than I do now, I was decades (not really, but close) younger and my speed was about the same.  Fancy that I am running at the same speed I did a million years ago.  


The PT card went into the 'keep' pile and the shoes went on the feet and off I went for 6 miles.  It took me 63:46, with the first three miles a bit slower than the last three.  I am not sure if I was worried about burning out or if the addition of several runners after the first three is the reason.  Either way my six miles is done and I am starving…just kidding…sort of. 

My training schedule, which is from Runner's World website, is a ten week program to go from 5k to half marathon.  I am on week four with the big run falling on St. Patrick’s Day.  This schedule has me running 4 x week with built in rest days.  When I first started it was kind of weird having rest days. I mean I was only running 3 miles 4 x week.  But the mileage has increased and including today’s run I have ran 17 miles this week.  Yeah me!  

The overall goal of the half marathon is to finish.  But I feel very good about my time right now.   I am not talking about winning or anything like that.  I am talking of finishing it in a reasonable time, less than three hours or something not too embarrassing.  Finishing the half marathon around the same time as those finishing the marathon would count as embarrassing.

Well enough procrastination…I have more paperwork to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment